The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

I Never Would Have Expected this Alert

Bo caught a low this evening that I never would have anticipated. Before dinner Austin was 234. He ate a meal of pasta, bread and meatballs. Following dinner Bo alerted to me while I was sitting at the dining room table and Austin was downstairs playing. I thought for sure I would be dealing with a high. I grabbed Austin's meter and went to check him. To my surprise, he was 88! I gave him a 12 g carb snack and gave Bo a low party for his terrific work. After the low party, I told Bo 'all set' and put him on his mat by my side. Twelve minutes later, he paw swiped me again. I told him 'all set' again but instead of settling on his mat, he started barking at me and looking at me like he wanted me to do something. I got Austin's meter and went to check him. This time he was 72!

It's alerts like these that truly amaze me. I never would have checked Austin so shortly after a high carb meal, plus Austin didn't show any signs of being low. Bo missed some alerts on highs today but this low he caught was absolutely awesome! We love our pup!

No comments:

Post a Comment