The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Video: Bo Learning Back Up Command

This week we've been practicing the "back up" command with Bo. Helen taught us how to train Bo on this command during our weekly training session last Friday. I had asked Helen to teach this command because over the past few weeks, I kept finding myself in situations where I needed Bo to back-up from me in order to accomplish a task. When I was talking to Helen about this, I gave her the example of Bo being in front of the washing machine, dishwasher or freezer door when I needed to open them.

In this video, you can see Bo moving his back legs backwards when I give the command back up. When we started teaching the command, we used a food treat in our hand and lured him backwards with the treat. However, now he is responding with just the verbal command and hand signal.


1 comment:

  1. I've this command successfully with him without treats. He is doing great!
    Syl

    ReplyDelete