The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

High Alert After Arriving Home from Being Gone


Austin wasn't home when I got home from work this evening. While he was gone, I did scent training with Bo inside and outside. I also ran him and used the lunge whip with him. When Austin got home, I brought Bo inside. After Bo greeted Austin and his grandmother, I observed Bo sniffing Austin. Bo's nose was tilting up toward Austin's head but touching his leg. Right after he sniffed Austin, Bo came over to me and alerted with a paw swipe. Austin then told me he had just eaten dinner out with his grandmother and that he was probably high. I checked Austin and he was 241. I rewarded Bo for his alert. Thirty five minutes later, Bo alerted high again. Austin was downstairs and Bo was upstairs with me this time. I checked Austin and his blood sugar was 181.

No comments:

Post a Comment