The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

A Listening Dog

The other day I was reminded that Bo is a listening dog. Austin had just finished checking his blood sugar after a low alert from Bo. I asked Austin if he wanted to take glucose tablets or if he wanted me to get a juice. I was already on my way to the kitchen when Austin replied he wanted juice. I turned around to see Bo was behind me carrying a juice box. He had retrieved it from Austin’s nightstand where we always keep a juice box.

Bo has the 'get juice' command under good stimulus control  only retrieving a juice from the nightstand when given the command. When I had asked Austin if he wanted me to get a juice, Bo heard his command 'get juice' and responded as he has been trained. 

Related Video Posts: Retrieving a Juice Box on Command (from 10-19-2014)

2 comments:

  1. Hope you threw Bo a huge puppy party! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Stopping you've been following Raising Bo since the beginning. Thank you for your interest and support in our journey with Bo. As far as a puppy party... Bo got lots of praise and high value food for his work. :)

    ReplyDelete