The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Teaching & Learning Sit

Bo sitting for a treat.
If I do dare say so myself, Bo has successfully learned the sit command. I read several dog training books prior to bringing Bo home and "sit" was one of the easier commands to teach because of a dog's natural inclination to relax on its hind legs when enticed with a treat above its head. Earlier this week, I put what I read into practice and much to my delight it worked!

I now have a 8-week-old puppy who sits on command and patiently waits for his treat in return.
As you can imagine, the people who have observed Bo's obedient behavior were completely impressed with his intelligence and demeanor. I'll be honest, it sure is a nice feeling to receive compliments on Bo's intelligence and temperment. However, what's even better is knowing that my prayers have been heard and our family has gotten a puppy that is demonstrating early signs of being well-suited for service work.

No comments:

Post a Comment