The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

When A Low Goes Undetected

Austin woke with a low of 73 this morning but Bo did not show any signs of smelling it. I reminded myself that he is still a puppy and he is still learning but I still felt disappointed. I'm going to reach out to the D.A.D contacts I've made through social media, to inquire if this has happened to them and what (if anything) I should consider if this becomes a pattern.

4 comments:

  1. Thank You Sue Laflamme for your advice to use high value treats (hot dogs or cheese) when Bo alerts, rather than our typical training treats.

    I'm going to try that going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got off the phone with Helen -- God love her! I'm also going to have Austin do more scent training with Bo without me present, as well as let Austin be alone with Bo when he is low. We are going to work on building the amount of distractions present when Bo alerts. The past two alerts occurred in the evening. This alert was in the morning at breakfast time -- the time when not only Austin eats but when Bo eats too. The distraction of being hungry is a big one naturally. Already, feeling more positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer! I sent you a FB message, but if any of that makes sense, feel free to share.

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank Frank for sharing your insight! I got your FB messages and appreciate all the info you shared.

    ReplyDelete