The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Two D.A.D. s and a Father

Facebook has served as an excellent resource on our journey to raise a D.A.D for Austin. Through it I have learned of other families raising and training medical alert dogs for their own children living with Type 1. Their stories are encouraging and inspiring;  their willingness to share their experiences and knowledge is humbling. 

One such person I have learned from is the father of a little girl named Stella. Like Austin, Stella lives with Type 1 Diabetes. She has two D.A.D.s -- Major and Raven -- both black Labradors. Stella's father chronicles their story on his Web site blackdogsrule.com. This past weekend, he spoke at a diabetic alert dog conference. I didn't attend the conference but I read the speech he gave to those in attendance. I was so moved by it that I asked him if I could share it here. It's powerful, heart wrenching and so true. I invite you to read it at: www.blackdogsrule.com.

If you are so inclined, leave a comment sharing the impact it had on you.


No comments:

Post a Comment