The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Working at Target

I had to pick-up diabetes supplies at our Target Pharmacy this morning, so I took Bo with me. This was the first Target trip where Bo worked without getting treats. We went directly to the Pharmacy and Bo went down once I stopped in the pharmacy area. He waited quietly as people walked by and as shopping carts were navigating the aisles near us. When it was our turn to approach the counter, I went to his side and looked at him and he stood and followed me closer to the counter. When I got to it and stopped, he went down with his head on the floor. He stayed until I gave him the 'with me' command. I then took him thru the store to pick-up one more item and he did great. He stayed by my side and he only was distracted by a few crumbs and paper on the floor. Once I got the item I needed, we headed to the check-out line. Bo again, went down when I stopped in the line, and waited as we proceeded thru check-out. Once we got to the car, I praised him for his good work and gave him kibble.  Our sweet pup is growing up and he is showing us his willingness to do the work we've been training him to do.  


No comments:

Post a Comment