The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Non-Alerts

Friday I awoke at 5:53 am to check Austin's blood sugar. When I got to his room Bo was in a down at the foot of Austin's bed. He looked at me but didn't alert. I got out Austin's meter and began preparing it for use. As I did, Bo stretched out near Austin and rested his head at Austin's pillow. Still no alert. I dug Austin's hand out from under the covers and checked him.

The meter read 122; this is Austin's target number. Bo was doing his job and not alerting. You may wonder why I checked Austin even though Bo did not indicate a high or low and I didn't have any other information suggesting Austin's blood sugar was out of target range. It's because we check Austin on a set schedule regardless if Bo alerts.

Bo is young; he is still learning his job. Bo is a living being; he gets tired, and he gets distracted. He is not perfect. He helps us manage Austin's Type 1 by alerting us to lows and highs before Austin feels them and often times before our technology indicates a need for treatment. He is a great help to us but it's our job and our responsibility to make sure Austin is safe and that involves checking on a schedule -- even if Bo's nose isn't telling us to.

No comments:

Post a Comment