The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Video: Bo's Happy Dance

Bo's crate is always available for him to use when we are home. He puts himself in it to eat. (We give him his frozen Kong and he takes it to his crate.) He also puts himself in it at night sometimes. We want Bo to have access to us for alerting any time Austin is home. (We have not trained him to alert from his crate.)  We only put him in his crate when we are leaving the house. His time in his crate is minimal for this reason and because he spends his days (while we are at work and school) at our neighbors' house.

Yesterday, I did something I don't usually do. I put him in his crate when I got home from being out with him. We had been gone for three hours and in that time he had an off-leash walk, a group training class and he worked for Austin. I knew he was tired and I wanted him to rest before Austin returned home from playing basketball. By the time Bo woke-up, Austin was home. I heard him wake-up and I took my camera with me, hoping I would capture what I call his 'happy dance.'  I captured his tail wagging happy dance but I also captured a low alert.

1 comment: