The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Way to Work Bo!

Alert After Church

Bo alerted within minutes of me and Austin getting home from church yesterday. I checked Austin and he was 156. This is not a number Bo gets rewarded for but we know Bo is often ahead of the meter, meaning he smells a low or high before the meter registers a number in his reward range. We told him 'all set' and waited to check again in 15 minutes. We didn't have to wait that long because after 12 minutes, Bo alerted to me again for a high. Austin was in the shower but he was finishing up, so I had him recheck. This time Austin was 175 -- the threshold number for a high alert. Bo got rewarded for his alert with chicken pieces. Austin got a correction.



Alert After School

Austin and Bo were in Austin's bedroom with the door closed. I called Austin out of his room and as Austin opened the door Bo came running out in front of him. Bo came directly to me in the kitchen and alerted with a paw swipe followed by a bow -- the alert chain he uses for a low. I checked Austin and he was 54.

Alert Before Basketball

Austin was downstairs playing XBox with his friend when Bo alerted to me upstairs. I went downstairs to check his blood sugar. It was 188. Bo is rewarded for high alerts at 175 and higher, so he got chicken and cheese pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment