The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Air Scenting Before an Alert

The other day Bo alerted to me while we were on my friend's deck watching Austin play basketball. Bo was in a down stay at my feet and he raised his paw and swiped my foot. I looked down at him and saw his nose sniffing vigorously while he was air scenting. At that moment, I recognized the soft breeze that was drifting past us. I called Austin up to the deck to check his blood sugar and Bo stood up and re-alerted. Austin got up to the deck where I was sitting (a good hundred feet from the court below) and checked his blood sugar. He was 82. Austin took glucose and I rewarded Bo for his alert.

One of the many things I've learned on this journey is the role air flow plays in a trained DAD detecting and alerting to a reward range blood sugar. As a result, I watch Bo for signs of air scenting which include his head in an upward tilt and his nostrils sniffing vigorously. I also pay attention to (indoors) if the heating/cooling fan has just kicked on or (outdoors) if there is a strong wind or soft breeze. 

Bo air scenting.

Austin on court below the deck where we were.

No comments:

Post a Comment