The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Level II Class with Bo

On Saturday, we will start our second six week Level II group dog training class with Bo. The class provides the opportunity to work Bo on advanced skills in the presence of other dogs. Being able to work around other dogs and remain focused is an important skill for a service dog. Bo will need to master maintaining his focus even when there is the distraction of another dog. At the end of the six week class, we will have the opportunity to have Bo take the AKC's Canine Good Citizenship Test. The test is pass or fail. It's comprised of ten separate test items a dog must perform under the direction of its handler. The test restricts use of certain gear like the Freedom Harness or Gentle Leader and prohibits food rewards. I'm cautiously optimistic that Bo will be able to pass the CGC test at the end of the class.

4 comments:

  1. Is the CGC test one to certify him as a service dog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,
    The CGC is not to certify him as a service dog. The Canine Good Citizen Program lays the foundation for other AKC activities such as obedience, agility, tracking, and performance events. For our family, this is the first test we are pursuing for Bo. Once he gets his CGC title, I will pursue him getting his Public Access Test. <http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org/standards/public-access-test/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn,
    Thank you, I am going to be training my own DAD dog for myself and trying to figure what all I need to do before getting a dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very exciting! I'm not a professional trainer, so I teamed up with experts both locally and afar to help me on my way. Public access work has proven to be the most challenging aspect of Bo's training. I've found having a certified trainer to work with locally has been extremely helpful to me. In the unlikely event you have not already, you may also find it helpful to look into your state's specific laws related to service dogs. In NH, the law is found in RSA 167. I wish you a positive experience!

      Delete