The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Missing Piece

I wish so much I had access to a local organization of Diabetic Alert Dog trainers, raisers and owners. The lack of access to such a network of people in our area is a drawback to raising and training our own DAD for Austin. It would be helpful to have the opportunity to meet in person other DAD owners and their dogs. To learn from them, to give and get support, and to feel connected with others who understand the challenges and joys of life with a DAD. It's definitely a missing piece in our training program.

If you are reading this post as someone who is raising and training their own DAD, I welcome your thoughts on this topic.



2 comments:

  1. I'm not a DAD owner but perhaps you'll be able to use some of this.

    When I moved to Delaware I could not find other like-minded homeschoolers. I started a Yahoo group with the belief that if you build it they will come. Sure enough in a very short time other like-minded homeschoolers joined my group. We met, we formed friendships that have lasted over a dozen years now, and helped each other a lot.

    ReplyDelete