The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Monday, May 26, 2014

A Series of Low Alerts

Bo gave a low alert at 4:45 pm Sunday. I checked Austin and he was 104. Bo is rewarded for low alerts of 100 or less, so I told Bo we would watch. I gave Austin an orange slice and two Saltines to prevent a low. Exactly 10 mins later at 4:55 pm, Bo alerted low again. This time Austin was 87. I rewarded Bo and gave Austin more carbs. Then at 5:14 pm Bo alerted again. I checked Austin and he was 86. This time I gave Austin a glucose tablet. Bo didn't settle until about 10 minutes after I had given Austin the glucose. Up to that point, he was right by Austin's side. (I took this picture of him after his second alert in this series.) By the time he settled Austin's blood sugar had risen to 120 -- his target number. 

No comments:

Post a Comment