The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Friday, May 2, 2014

Video: Bo Alerting to a Low

Bo broke his place on his Kuranda cot just prior to this alert. When he broke his place, I grabbed my phone in anticipation of catching an alert on video. (Bo will break his place to alert.)  I walked away from him and he followed me and pawed my leg. When I turned my body, he pawed me again and then gave a bow. In this video, you will see he gives this alert chain several times before Austin's blood sugar is verified with the meter. I responded to his alert verbally before Austin's blood sugar was verified. What I should have done is waited for verification that Austin's blood sugar was in Bo's reward range before I said anything to Bo or gave him any kind of attention for his alert. This was one of several alerts Bo gave today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment