The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Alert at the Outdoor Basketball Courts

Tonight, Bo alerted to me as we sat and watched Austin play a game of pick-up basketball at his school's outdoor courts. As I watched Austin play, I worried he would go low. I kept a close eye on Bo's nose, watching for signs of him smelling a low. After about an hour of being at the courts Bo stood up and put his paw on my leg. I didn't respond immediately and he shifted his position and pawed me again. I got Austin off the court to check and he was 212. I've been doing scent training with Bo outside in different places to improve his alerting in public. I was impressed and pleased with his alert tonight. There was a lot of activity on the courts, plus it was windy and rainy. Despite these distractions he did his job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment