The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Friday, July 11, 2014

It Happened


Note: I'm not sure when I wrote this post. I had written it and never published it. I came across it when I was in the admin view of my blog posts today. It's part of the journey, so I'm publishing it now.)

Last Sunday, for the first time since I set out on this journey, I thought about giving-up. That's right. I thought about throwing in the old proverbial towel and quitting. The thought was fleeting (thankfully) leaving my mind as quickly as it had entered but it happened nonetheless -- making its dirty little mark on our journey.

It's super easy to post about the successes. The fabulous alerts that come in the middle of the night or on the soccer field. The beautiful heel work during a training session at Target. The extended down stays during place work. The impressive self control during leave it exercises. All those things are so easy to write about because they represent achievement, hard work and success. As a result, we hear about them a lot. They are in our FB newsfeed and the blogs and groups we follow. They are inspirational and encouraging but they can also be discouraging. They are discouraging because they can set unrealistic expectations of perfection.



Of course, I could never give-up on these two. 



No comments:

Post a Comment