The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Video: Scent Training with Snap-in Drains and Caps

Snap-in drains and caps for scent work. 
I'm changing the threshold low blood sugar number that Bo gets rewarded for from 100 to 85. I've decided to do this in hopes his 'ahead of the meter' alerts are below 100. Right now, he will alert ahead of the meter at say 118 and then within 10-15 mins (sometimes less) he re-alerts and Austin's blood sugar is 100 or below. See our alert log for examples. I expect it will take some time to re-train him to alert on the lower number and for this reason plan to increase the number of daily scent training sessions I do. My goal is to do four 10 minute sessions a day. One of the biggest challenges is going to be collecting an ample supply of scent samples between 80 and 85. Today, I picked up these snap-in drains and caps to use for scent work. In the video below, you see him sniffing around the room and when he comes to the container with the low scent sample (second in from left), he turns to me (off camera) and bows. I can only imagine what he would be capable of if he were being trained full-time by a professional -- rather than part-time by me.Thankfully, he is forgiving of my mistakes. If only I could learn to be as forgiving with myself.
VIDEO

No comments:

Post a Comment