The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Public Access Training

The other night, after exercising Bo, we took him to Fresh Market for public access training. It was late in the evening and there weren't many people shopping, which made it perfect for his first time in the space. He worked through the flowers and produce with ease, so we headed to the butcher shop. His nose was sniffing in the direction of the prepared meats but he responded well to my commands to 'leave' --each time turning his head away from the food and toward me. He kept his nose out of the food case and off the bread and muffins tables, however he did get distracted by everything on the floor. It didn't matter if it was a piece of food or a piece of paper, if it was on the floor he wanted to sniff it. We encountered a grape and it was almost as if he knew it was bad for him. I told him 'leave' and he stopped walking and looked at me. I gave him a nice food reward for his listening.

He walked at my side with one exception when I was turning right and he wanted to turn left. When I looked in the dairy case, he stopped and stood waiting for me to continue walking. He went into a down stay when I dropped his leash to take a pictures of him in the aisles. He appeared to be comfortable working in the space not showing any signs of stress. It was a short yet successful session.


No comments:

Post a Comment