The story of a boy living with Type 1 and his family's journey to raise and train a diabetic alert dog.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Watching a False Alert

Bo just alerted (4:49 pm) and Austin was 118 with .45 IOB. This alert is considered a false alert because it's not in Bo's low reward range of 100 or lower. When this happens, I put Bo on his cot and tell him we are going to 'watch.' If Bo doesn't re-alert within 10 minutes, I check Austin's blood sugar again. When Bo gave this false alert, he re-alerted after five minutes. Austin was 99 and he had IOB from an earlier correction. This picture is what Bo looked like from the time I put him on his cot until he broke his place to re-alert to me. (He had an intense stare on me no matter where I moved in the room.)

It's not uncommon for DADs to be ahead of the meter in their alerts. I only consider an alert ahead of the meter and not false, when the out-of-reward range alert is withing 15 minutes of an in-range alert. If it isn't, I consider the out-of-reward range alert a false one.




No comments:

Post a Comment